top of page
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram

Paid work abroad, fruit picking, travelling, instructor, career break, sabbatical

There are lots of different paid placements and programmes which you can get involved in during your career break or sabbatical, which means you can travel and get paid for it! Some placements will also provide training courses, which are great for your CV.

Depending on the type of work you want to do and where you want to travel, this will narrow your list down so you can decided what type of program you want to join.

Jobs vary on length, with some lasting as little as a few weeks, right up to a year. If you have a year off, then this could give you the opportunity to do a few different jobs and gain even more experience for your CV.

Examples of paid jobs abroad:

- Teaching English abroad, with a TEFL certificate. Click here if you want to learn more about TEFL

- Au pair

- Getting a working holiday visa, so you have flexibility to undertake different jobs while you are away, for example, fruit picking in Australia or working in a bar

- Taking an instructor course and teaching watersports or snowsports

- Summer camp counsellor

- Seasonal work in resorts

- Working on a ranch is the USA

These are just a few examples, but there are loads of different options for you to research. Some volunteering programs will also pay for expenses but instead of being an employee you will be a volunteer, but the programme will cover all of your costs.

Why should I do paid work on my Career Break?

Undertaking paid work on your career break will mean you can earn money while you travel, so can continue to travel for longer...what more do you want? It also means that you don't need to save as much money before you go, which will good if you are struggling to save due to high living costs, or if your career break was a last minute decision. You will learn new skills and you can include your experience on your CV, which could help assist you with finding a job when you get home. It will also increases your confidence as you will be working with new people, in different cultures, potentially with new languages. In additional to all of this, you will make friendships which will last a lifetime.

Can I work anywhere?

Sadly, the answer is no. At the moment you can work within the EU without a visa, but please note this may change in the future. If you want to go further a field, you will most likely need to apply for a working holiday visa or permit. Popular destinations include Japan, Australia, New Zealand and America. In some cases, it depends on the type of work that you will be doing, to determine what type of visa or permit you will need.

How much will I get paid?

This really depends on what you do and your previous experience. These types of jobs do not usually pay enough for you to save a lot of money, but are created to enable you to cover your expenses, which will allow you to work/travel for longer.

Before you accept any job, it is a good idea to make sure that you have a rough idea of what your monthly outgoings are going to be, so you know how much you need to save before you leave. If you want some advice on how to save for travelling, read how I saved to travel around the world.

Just by way of example, on average teaching English in Japan can pay around £1,500 - £2,000 per month, while fruit picking in Australia will pay AUD$21.6 per hour (which is roughly around £11.70) and the average ski instructors in Canada earn around is $48,119 per year ( which is just over £27,000).

Paid work abroad, fruit picking, travelling, instructor, career break, sabbatical

Have you ever worked abroad? I would love to hear your stories!


bottom of page